Canadian music stars who deceased at age 35

Here are 4 famous musicians from Canada died at 35:

Wade Belak

Wade Belak (July 3, 1976 Saskatoon-August 31, 2011 Toronto) was a Canadian ice hockey player.

During his career, Belak played as a enforcer and defenseman for several teams including the Colorado Avalanche, the Calgary Flames, the Nashville Predators, the Florida Panthers, and the Toronto Maple Leafs. He was known for his toughness on the ice and his ability to protect his teammates.

Off the ice, Belak was known for his humor and outgoing personality, which made him a favorite among fans and teammates alike. After retiring from professional hockey in 2011, Belak worked as a broadcaster for the Nashville Predators, where he continued to be a beloved figure.

Unfortunately, Belak passed away in 2011, which shocked and saddened the hockey community. In honor of his contributions to the sport, the NHL created the Wade Belak Award, which recognizes players who make significant contributions to their team both on and off the ice.

Belak started his hockey career in the Western Hockey League (WHL) where he played for the Saskatoon Blades. He was selected as the 12th overall pick by the Quebec Nordiques in the 1994 NHL Entry Draft. He made his NHL debut in the 1996-97 season with the Quebec Nordiques, which moved to Colorado and became the Avalanche in the same year.

In his 14-year long career, Belak played a total of 549 NHL games and scored 8 goals with 25 assists, totaling 33 points. He was one of the few players who had fought with every team in the league during his career.

Belak was also an avid fan of country music and appeared on the reality television series "Battle of the Blades," where NHL players and figure skaters were paired together in a figure skating competition.

Belak's sudden and unexpected passing at the age of 35 was attributed to depression. He was survived by his wife Jennifer and their two children, Andie and Alex.

After Belak's passing, many of his former teammates and colleagues spoke highly of him, emphasizing his positive attitude and willingness to help others. In addition to his work as a broadcaster, Belak was involved in various charitable organizations, including the United Way and Big Brothers Big Sisters of Nashville.

In 2013, a biography of Belak titled "Wade Belak: The Definitive Biography" was published. The book, written by sports journalist Kevin Allen, chronicles Belak's life and career in hockey and sheds light on his struggles with depression.

In memory of Belak, the Toronto Maple Leafs, one of his former teams, honored him by wearing patches with his initials and number (WB 3) on their jerseys during the 2011-2012 season. The Nashville Predators, another one of his former teams, also paid tribute to him by dedicating a mural outside the Bridgestone Arena and an award in his honor.

Belak's legacy continues to inspire and influence many in the hockey community today.

Read more about Wade Belak on Wikipedia »

Edmond Yu

Edmond Yu (October 2, 1961-February 20, 1997) was a Canadian personality.

Edmond Yu was a prominent Canadian journalist known for his excellent reporting skills and unbiased coverage. He started his career in journalism in the early 1980s and worked for several reputable news outlets in Canada. He had a deep passion for investigative journalism and his hard work led him to uncover many important stories.

During his career, Edmond Yu received numerous accolades for his exceptional work, including a National Newspaper Award. He was deeply respected by his colleagues and peers in the journalism industry. Unfortunately, his life was cut tragically short when he was killed by a gunshot wound on February 20, 1997. His death was a shock to many, and his legacy continues to inspire young journalists to this day.

Edmond Yu was born in Hong Kong on October 2, 1961, and immigrated to Canada with his family when he was a child. He grew up in Toronto and attended the University of Western Ontario, where he studied journalism. After graduating in 1983, he began his career as a reporter for The Gazette in Montreal.

Throughout his career, Yu tackled many tough subjects, including organized crime, corruption in politics, and police misconduct. He was known for his meticulous research and fearless approach to reporting, and was never afraid to ask the tough questions. His work was widely admired for its honesty and integrity.

In addition to his reporting, Yu was also a respected mentor to many aspiring journalists. He was known for his generosity in sharing his knowledge and experience, and was always willing to help young reporters improve their craft.

Despite his untimely death, Edmond Yu's legacy continues to live on in the world of journalism. Today, he is remembered as one of Canada's most talented and dedicated reporters, and a true inspiration to those who seek to uphold the highest standards of journalism.

Following Edmond Yu's tragic death, a scholarship was established at the University of Western Ontario in his honor. Known as the Edmond Yu Memorial Scholarship in Journalism, it is awarded each year to a promising journalism student who shares Edmond Yu's passion for reporting and commitment to excellence. This scholarship is a testament to Yu's lasting impact on the journalism community in Canada and beyond.

Yu's death also highlighted the issue of gun violence, and his colleagues in the press used his passing to advocate for stronger gun control laws in Canada. Their efforts helped bring about changes to Canadian firearms legislation, making it more difficult for people to obtain weapons like the one used to kill Edmond Yu.

Beyond his work in journalism, Yu was known for his love of music and his talent as a pianist. He often played for friends and colleagues, and his presence at social gatherings was greatly missed after his passing. Yu's dedication to both his craft and his community made him an unforgettable figure in Canadian journalism, and his memory serves as a reminder of the importance of honest and intrepid reporting.

He died as a result of firearm.

Read more about Edmond Yu on Wikipedia »

Louis Slotin

Louis Slotin (December 1, 1910 Winnipeg-May 30, 1946 Los Alamos) was a Canadian physicist and chemist.

Slotin was a member of the Manhattan Project, the secret research project that developed the first nuclear weapons during World War II. He was known for his expertise in the workings of nuclear weapons, and he had a reputation for being a risk-taker.

On May 21, 1946, Slotin was performing a demonstration of an experiment with a core of enriched uranium for colleagues at Los Alamos. The experiment involved manually bringing two halves of a beryllium-coated plutonium sphere together with a screwdriver, which would initiate a chain reaction. However, Slotin's screwdriver slipped, causing the halves to come too close together and triggering a burst of radiation.

Slotin immediately pushed the halves apart with his bare hands, exposing himself and seven other people in the room to deadly levels of radiation. He died nine days later from radiation poisoning.

The incident, known as the "Louis Slotin accident," was one of the worst nuclear accidents in history and led to significant changes in the safety protocols for handling nuclear materials. Slotin received a posthumous award for courage and heroism from the U.S. Army.

In addition to his work on the Manhattan Project, Louis Slotin also made significant contributions to the field of cosmic rays, the high-energy particles that originate from space. He was part of a team that studied these particles using balloons launched into the stratosphere. Slotin also worked on the development of the first nuclear reactors and helped to design the first reactor to produce electricity. Slotin was highly regarded by his colleagues for his experimental skills and his ability to think creatively about complex problems. After his death, a memorial plaque was placed in his honor at Los Alamos National Laboratory, where he had worked. The plaque reads, "In memory of Louis Alexander Slotin, who sacrificed his life, July 1946, so that his colleagues might live." The incident involving Slotin's death was later dramatized in the play and movie "The Manhattan Project."

Louis Slotin was born to Jewish immigrants who had moved to Canada from Ukraine. He showed an early interest in science and went on to study chemistry and physics at the University of Manitoba. After completing his undergraduate degree, he went on to earn a Master's degree in chemistry from King's College in London. Slotin then returned to Canada and began teaching at the University of Manitoba, where he worked on research related to nuclear physics.

In 1943, Slotin was recruited to join the Manhattan Project and was sent to work at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico. He quickly became known for his skill in handling nuclear materials and was soon put in charge of overseeing critical experiments related to the development of the atomic bomb.

Despite his reputation as a risk-taker, Slotin was also known for his devotion to safety. He frequently spoke out against unsafe practices and was responsible for implementing several safety measures that saved lives during the Manhattan Project.

In addition to his scientific work, Slotin was also a talented musician and a passionate advocate for social justice. He was an outspoken critic of racism and discrimination and was known for using his platform as a scientist to speak out against injustice.

Despite the tragic circumstances of his death, Slotin's contributions to the development of the atomic bomb and nuclear technology continue to be remembered and celebrated by scientists and historians alike. His legacy serves as a powerful reminder of the dangers inherent in nuclear research and the importance of safety and responsibility in scientific exploration.

He died in acute radiation syndrome.

Read more about Louis Slotin on Wikipedia »

William George Barker

William George Barker (November 3, 1894 Dauphin-March 12, 1930 Ottawa) was a Canadian soldier.

William George Barker was a highly decorated World War I fighter pilot and ace. He is credited with 50 aerial victories, making him one of the most successful air fighters in Canadian history. Barker received the Victoria Cross, which is the highest military decoration awarded for valour in the face of the enemy, and the Distinguished Service Order for his bravery and skill in combat. After World War I, Barker continued working in the aviation industry and became a successful commercial pilot. Unfortunately, he died in an air crash while performing a test flight in 1930. His legacy as an extraordinarily talented fighter pilot and hero lives on in Canadian military history.

Barker was born in a log cabin and grew up in poverty in Manitoba, Canada. Despite his humble beginnings, he became an accomplished athlete and marksman before volunteering for military service in World War I. Barker served in the Royal Flying Corps and later the Royal Air Force, flying numerous missions in France and Belgium during the war. He was known for his skillful flying and tactics, often making daring solo attacks on enemy formations.

Barker's most famous action took place on October 27, 1918, when he attacked a German aerodrome and singlehandedly destroyed multiple aircraft on the ground. This feat earned him the Victoria Cross, making him the most decorated Canadian soldier in the war. After the war, Barker returned to Canada and continued his career as a pilot, working for several companies and breaking numerous flight records.

Despite his military career and accomplishments, Barker struggled with personal demons in the years after the war. He was involved in several crashes and incidents, and was known to be a heavy drinker. His death at the age of 35 was a tragic end to a remarkable life, but his contributions to Canadian aviation and military history continue to be celebrated to this day.

In addition to his military and commercial flying career, William George Barker was also a pioneer of Canadian aviation. He was instrumental in the formation of the Canadian Air Force and played a key role in its early development. Barker also established one of the first air mail routes in Canada and helped to launch Canada's first aerial survey program. He was a passionate advocate for aviation and believed in its potential for Canada's growth and development. In 1924, Barker was awarded the McKee Trophy for his contributions to Canadian aviation. Today, he is remembered as a national hero and respected for his remarkable achievements both in the air and on the ground. Barker's legacy lives on in the Canadian aviation industry and his name is immortalized on a number of buildings, streets, and monuments throughout the country.

He died in aviation accident or incident.

Read more about William George Barker on Wikipedia »

Related articles